How it all began
In 1939, Chris Mitchell opened a small neighborhood soda fountain and sweet shoppe to provide popcorn and other sweet concessions to the Heights Arts Theatre next door at the corner of Euclid Heights Boulevard and Coventry Road in Cleveland Heights, Ohio. A decade later, the theatre began in-house concessions, and Chris, with his new wife Penelope, pivoted their confections to more European-style fine chocolates. Their son Bill took over the business in the late 80’s, and later moved the manufacturing and retail showroom from Coventry Village to the Cedar-Lee District to accommodate the growing demand.
Mitchell’s Fine Chocolates is now a third generation business, with Jason & Emily Hallaman at the helm since 2016. Although Bill did not have children of his own, both Jason’s family and the Mitchell family have shared heritage on a small island in eastern Greece. We are passionate about maintaining the recipes and traditions of Mitchell’s Fine Chocolates, and continuing to provide delicious European-style confections for many more generations.